Upcoming BSF Events this Summer
An afternoon at Monkey House Cider, Berwick
In April some of our members and supporters of BSF participated as apples were pressed at Monkey House Cider in Berwick for what will become our first premium Festival Cider. Owner Phil Elliott gave a thorough presentation of the cider making process followed by a tasty and wholesome lunch.
Coming soon, Phil will arrange a fresh fruit pressing including a presentation by Phil to explain the packaging processes for the fruit juice. Pre-register your interest for this event that will cost £20 (£25 for non-members) that includes lunch and a take-away pouch of fruit juice.
Berwick Slow Food Festival 2022
Confirmation of Dates : 2nd - 4th September 2022
Our Food and Beer Festival is back!
Now in its 15th Year we are buzzing to once again bring the celebration of all things local to the town.
Unlike last year we are not only hosting a fantastic array of stall holders selling their wares but we are very excited to announce the return of the beer! This will mean the festival will begin on Friday 2nd Sept with an evening of music, great drinks and celebration.
Full details are available on our dedicated festival web site
Slow Food is an International grassroots organisation which started in Italy with Carlo Petrini in the 1960s, linking the pleasure of food with a commitment to the community and the environment.
Its aim is to defend regional traditions, good food, gastronomic pleasures and a slow pace of life by invigorating people's interest in food, where it comes from and how our food choices affect the world around us.
Slow Food also recognises the value of local traditions and years of accrued knowledge and culture and as such attempts to preserve these through it's Ark of Taste Project.
In short Slow Food promotes true enjoyment of good food and food production systems which provide good, clean and fair food
This can be done through
- Children's education programmes
- The Ark of Taste – saving food production traditions
- Linking food producers to people / chefs
- Supporting local artisan producers
- Valuing the taste of our food
- Using Seasonal food
- Avoiding airmiles in the transportation of foodstuffs
- Keeping Traditions for next generation: cooking methods / ingredients / recipes
Berwick Slow Food are the local branch of Slow Food UK and with an elected committee we -
- Organise an annual Food & Beer Festival during the first weekend of September. With over 80 stalls of local & regional producers, visitors have the opportunity to sample foods / meet producers to find out more about the produce / relax in a family friendly environment
- Give talks at local groups
- Have social events to local restaurants featuring local food
- Organise visits to food producers
- Support & promote local & regional food producers.
Congratulations to Michael Hindhaugh, River Tweed Wild Salmon Fishing Co who has been awarded Slow Food International Ark of Taste status for saving our unique salmon net & coble fishing on the Tweed right in the middle of our Town. Michael encourages anyone who is interested to join his crew to experience this amazing traditional way of fishing.
Further info about this opportunity: email@example.com
For more information on Berwick Slow Food contact us here.
- To continue to develop Slow Food principles to the public
- To provide financial support for training to young person/s who would otherwise struggle to achieve a future in the food / drink sector
- To promote the work of Slow Food
- To encourage partnerships with existing food initiatives in Berwick
- To help support young person/s to remain in Berwick for employment
- Defending local and regional traditions
- Encouraging the socialisation of eating and enjoying food
- Introducing people to local and regional food & drink
- Encouraging people to share years of food knowledge
- Supporting local and regional producers of Good Clean & Fair food
Slow Food - Ark of Taste Video
Berwick Slow Food Video Demos
Berwick Slow Food Video Demos
Meet the Team
Our 2022 Committee is comprised of 4 Officers and 3 Members
Mouseover the profiles below to read a brief biography
After leaving the Hospitality Industry after more than 30 year & still having a passion for Food & Drink I came across the local Food & Beer Festival. After volunteering for two years I was invited to join the committee and was delighted to be asked to stand as an officer and using my new career skills took up the position of treasurer
Traders support & Food and Drink Fringe Fest coordinator. Passionate about community, supporting small local business and sustainable food
Born and bred in the area so I have a great passion for supporting local business.
10+ years experience in hospitality has taught me a lot about good food and drink.
Looking forward to bringing my knowledge of our fantastic local and regional brewers to the festival this year.
Further Contact Details:
Bursary Support Committee: A recent initiative offering support to local young individuals seeking support in furthering their skills and career.
Trader Support Committee: A recent initiative offering support to local traders and producers.
How to join Berwick Slow Food...
To discuss any issues before joining, or for further assistance from a member from the Berwick group, please feel free to contact our secretary or by completing our Contact Form below: