Berwick Slow Food are the local branch of Slow Food UK and with an elected committee we -
- Organise an annual Food & Beer Festival. With food and drink from local & regional producers, visitors have the opportunity to sample foods / meet producers to find out more about the produce / relax in a family friendly environment - find out more on www.berwickfoodandbeerfestival.co.uk
- Facilitate talks and educational workshops
- Have social events to visit local restaurants, local food and drink based businesses featuring local produce, celebrating our region & bringing people together
- Advocate in our local area for good, clean and fair food for all.
- Organise visits to local producers and businesses
- Support & promote local & regional food producers.
What is Slow Food?
Slow Food is an International grassroots organisation which started in Italy with Carlo Petrini in the 1960s, linking the pleasure of food with a commitment to the community and the environment.
Its aim is to defend regional traditions, good food, gastronomic pleasures and a slow pace of life by invigorating people's interest in food, where it comes from and how our food choices affect the world around us.
Slow Food also recognises the value of local traditions and years of accrued knowledge and culture and as such attempts to preserve these through it's Ark of Taste Project.
In short Slow Food promotes true enjoyment of good food and food production systems which provide good, clean and fair food
This can be done through
- Children's education programmes
- The Ark of Taste – saving food production traditions
- Linking food producers to people / chefs
- Supporting local artisan producers
- Valuing the taste of our food
- Using Seasonal food
- Avoiding airmiles in the transportation of foodstuffs
- Keeping Traditions for next generation: cooking methods / ingredients / recipes
We run regular events - click this link to find out more!
- To continue to develop Slow Food principles to the public
- To provide financial support for training to young person/s who would otherwise struggle to achieve a future in the food / drink sector
- To promote the work of Slow Food
- To encourage partnerships with existing food initiatives in Berwick
- To help support young person/s to remain in Berwick for employment
- Defending local and regional traditions
- Encouraging the socialisation of eating and enjoying food
- Introducing people to local and regional food & drink
- Encouraging people to share years of food knowledge
- Supporting local and regional producers of Good Clean & Fair food
Meet the Team
Our Committee is comprised of 4 Officers and 2 Members
Mouseover the profiles below to read a brief biography
After leaving the Hospitality Industry after more than 30 year & still having a passion for Food & Drink I came across the local Food & Beer Festival. After volunteering for two years I was invited to join the committee and was delighted to be asked to stand as an officer and using my new career skills took up the position of treasurer
Festival Director & Secretary
Secretary & Festival Director
Manager & coordinator of Berwick Food & Beer Fest since 2022. Passionate about community, supporting local business and sustainable food with extensive experience in project management & volunteer coordination
Born and bred in the area with a great passion for supporting local business. 10+ years experience in hospitality has taught me a lot about good food and drink. Including running my own craft beer business for 3 years.
Festival Director alongside my wife since 2022
Berwick Slow Food Festival 2024
Confirmation of Dates : 16th - 18th August
Now in its 17th Year we are delighted to say that Berwick Food and Beer Festival will be sticking to the new August dates after a roaring success in 2023.
Berwick Slow Food is also thrilled to announce that Ray and Millie McRobbie remain at the helm of our festival as our Festival Directors for the 2024 edition.
Full details are available on our dedicated festival website so please head there for more information > www.berwickfoodandbeerfestival.co.uk
How to join Berwick Slow Food...
To discuss any issues before joining, or for further assistance from a member from the Berwick group, please feel free to contact our secretary or by completing our Contact Form below: